Shobana’s musical talents and academic expertise are
unique. In addition to her acclaim and success as a
performing artist, Shobana has very high academic
credentials in the field of music. She has given many
lecture demonstrations, published book chapters and
has presented papers on Carnatic music.
1. Paper entitled 'South Indian Operas and Western Operas-A Survey' in the Journal 'Samakalika Sangeetham' in April 2009.
2. Paper entitled " A Study on Ramanatakam' in the Journal 'Naadhabrahmam' in January 2009.
3. Presented a paper on 'Contribution to the development of South Indian Operas' in an international conference in February 2008.
4. Presented a paper on 'Evolution of South Indian and Western Operas' in an international conference in January 2008.
5. Book chapter entitled 'A Study on Dance Drama and Musical Plays' in the book
‘The Different dimensions of Dance and Music.’
6. Book Chapter entitled ‘Music across Boundaries’ (Isai Ellaigalai Kadandhu) in the book
‘A Collection of 50 essays’ (Katturai Kothu) published in Tamil.
- PhD in Music, Mother Teresa University Chennai, India
Shobana has a PhD in Music from Mother Teresa University. Her thesis, 'A Comparative Study of South Indian and Western Operas' has been highly commended by the Board of Examiners.
Advisor- Dr. S.A.K. Durga, a world renowned ethnomusicologist and a performing artist of Indian Classical music.
- M Phil in Music, Mother Teresa University, Chennai, India.
Shobana has completed her M Phil in Music from Mother Teresa University. Her thesis on ‘Interculturalism in Carnatic Music- An Ethnomusicological Perspective’ was highly commended for her original and creative work.
- Masters in Music, University of Madras, Chennai, India.
Shobana holds a Masters degree in Music from the University of Madras and wrote a thesis on the ‘Parallel Concepts in Carnatic music and Western Classical music.’
- M. A. Mass Communication and Journalism, Alagappa University, Karaikudi, India.
Shobana’s interest in Communications inspired her to obtain a Masters degree in Mass Communication and Journalism from the renowned Alagappa University.
- B. A. Indian Music, University of Madras, Chennai, India.
Shobana received her Bachelor’s degree in music from the University of Madras.
- Passed 8 grades in the Theory of Western Classical Music and 6 grades in Western
Classical Piano Exams from the Trinity College of Music, London.
Shobana has fine taste and appreciation for other genres of music. She has an inimitable style of unbending observance to the traditions of Carnatic music and at the same time appreciation for other styles of music. This is evident from her fervor and commitment to learn the nuances of Western Classical Music.
- Schooling at Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan Senior Secondary School, Chennai.
A strong foundation for her education and life was laid at the Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan School in Chennai. The 14 years of schooling at this great institution has played a pivotal role in molding her career and persona. She was a cultural ambassador of Padma Seshadri and won several laurels and accolades at various competitions for her school. In recognition of her paradigmatic talent, Bharat Kalachar (cultural organization supported by the school) bestowed upon the 10 year old student (Shobana) the prestigious cultural scholarship for Carnatic Vocal Music for eight consecutive years. It is worth mentioning that she was the youngest and the first to receive this award at the primary level in school.